2017 Wood Design & Building Award Winners Announced
Ottawa, ON, January 16, 2018 – Wood Design & Building magazine is pleased to announce the award recipients for the prestigious 2017 Wood Design Awards program. Winning projects were selected by an esteemed architectural jury consisting of:
- Alan Organschi, Principal at Gray Organschi Architecture
- Betsy Williams, Principal at Williamson Williamson
- Richard Bonnin, Design Principal, HGA Architects and Engineers
The Canadian Wood Council, as well as this year’s sponsors, Sustainable Forestry Initiative, Western Red Cedar, and Sansin, also granted special awards. Unique to this year’s program, two special jury awards were selected, one for technical innovation and one for public art education.
Submissions to this year’s awards program were thoughtfully designed and highlight wood’s structural, aesthetic and functional qualities. The Wood Design Awards program is an opportunity to showcase exceptional wood buildings and serves to inspire designers to push the boundaries of what they think is possible for wood in construction.
“The Wood Design & Building Awards program has been in existence for over 30 years,” explains Etienne Lalonde, Vice-President of Market Development for the Canadian Wood Council. “We’ve been continually impressed with the quality of submissions each year, and it’s a testament to the sophistication of wood products, due to improvements in technology and advancements in applications.”
Wood Design & Building magazine, in partnership with the Canadian Wood Council, extends its appreciation to all participants of the 2017 awards program, and congratulates the award recipients. A special thank you to this year’s sponsors for their ongoing support.
The award recipients for the 2017 Wood Design & Building Awards program
- Audain Art Museum, Whistler, British Columbia, Patkau Architects
- Washington Fruit & Produce Company, Yakima, Washington, Graham Baba Architects
- Georgica Cove, East Hampton, New York, Bates Masi + Architects
- Casa Curved, Basel, Switzerland, Daluz Gonzalez Architekten
- Collège Jean Monnet Broons, Broons, Bretagne, France, Dietrich | Untertrifaller Architekten and Colas Durand Architectes
- Haus B, Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany, Yonder – Architektur und Design
- Elementary School Unterdorf Höchst, Höchst ,Vorarlberg, Austria, Dietrich | Untertrifaller Architekten
- Pause, Vancouver, British Columbia, DBR / Design Build Research, Alsu Sadrieva
- Bloomberg Tech Hub, San Francisco, California, IwamotoScott Architecture
- Discovery & Services Center – Îles-de-Boucherville National Park (SÉPAQ), Québec, Smith Vigeant
- Architectes Inc.
- The Owsley Brown II History Center, Louisville, Kentucky, de Leon & Primmer Architecture Workshop
- National Arts Centre Rejuvenation, Ottawa, Ontario, Diamond Schmitt Architects
- Wooden Ventilation Towers, Stockholm, Sweden, Rundquist Architects
- Multi-functional Sports Hall Alice Milliat, Lyon, France, Dietrich | Untertrifaller Architekten and Tekhnê
- Valley Villa, Vilnius, Lithuania, Arches
- Story Pod, Newmarket, Ontario, Atelier Kastelic Buffey Inc.
- Trois-Soeurs Bridge, Québec Quebec, ABCP Architecture
- Pinterest NY, New York, New York, IwamotoScott Architecture and Spector Group (Architect of Record)
- Orillia Waterfront Centre, Orillia, Ontario, Brook McIlroy Inc.
- Lazaridis Hall, Waterloo, Ontario, Diamond Schmitt Architects
- UC Architecture School Building, Santiago , Chile, Gonzalo Claro
- Organic Farm, Tangshan , Hebei , China ARCHSTUDIO
SPECIAL JURY AWARD – TECHNICAL INNOVATION
- Brock Commons Tallwood House, Vancouver, British Columbia, Acton Ostry Architects Inc.
SPECIAL JURY AWARD – PUBLIC ART EDUCATION
- Ways of Wood, Boston, Massachusetts, Margen-Lab
CANADIAN WOOD COUNCIL AWARDS
- Tanguay Trois-Rivières, Trois-Rivières, Québec, Coarchitecutre
- Courtyard House on a River, Greenwater, Washington, Robert Hutchison Architecture
SUSTAINABLE FORESTRY INITIATIVE – SPONSORSHIP AWARD
- Solana, Whistler, British Columbia, Murdoch & Company Architecture + Planning Ltd.
WESTERN RED CEDAR – SPONSORSHIP AWARD
- Skyline House, Oakland, California, Terry & Terry Architecture
SANSIN – SPONSORSHIP AWARD
- Grange Park Playground, Toronto, Ontario, PFS Studio
The project used Sansin DEC for its performance, environmentally friendly benefits, and for its ease of use, and maintenance.
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT
Wood Design & Building Magazine
Proud Award Sponsors for 2017